The Sacramento Koi Bead and Glass filters come with laminated instructions for your convenience. This permits keeping them close to the filters for ease of operation and not worrying about them being destroyed by weather over time.
Should you need them again, we, SkagiTek Inc. have provided printable instructions for quick and easy assembly of your filter along with the most recent updates of the operating instructions. Consider reviewing the instructions to see just how easy it is to perform. It really does only take four minutes to backwash the bead filter.
This unit is not designed as a stand-alone filter. It is to be used after the Advantage Bead Filter.
- Place filter body on a level hard surface. We recommend pouring a small cement pad.
- (Optional) Pour in 1 bag of glass. This will help keep the filter in place while you connect the plumbing. If you put all the glass in at this time it can become difficult to move the filter if you need to adjust the position while hooking up the plumbing. Push the internal head to the side before pouring in the glass. This will allow the glass to fill the filter more easily.
- Attach the valve head to the filter body. Do not over tighten.
- Adjust the position of the filter to create the easiest connection of the pipes to the bead filter.
- Plumb pipe from the opening marked “Return” on the bead filter to the opening marked “To Bead Filter” on the glass filter.
- Connect the pipe returning to your pond to the opening on the valve head marked “RETURN” on the glass filter. If you have a ultraviolet light, it should be installed here, after the glass filter.
- Connect a pipe from the opening glass filter’s valve head marked “TO WASTE” to the same waste line that you are using for the bead filter.
- Pour the rest of the glass into the glass filter * and be sure to push the internal head back in place (straight up) when finished loading in the glass. Screw the “top cap” onto the filter. Tighten the cap down slightly with the enclosed plastic “top cap wrench”.
- Place control valve to the “Filter” position on both filters and turn on your pump. When water begins to flow through filter, check for any leaks. If you have no leaks, congratulation, you did it.
* The Advantage 10 Glass gets a total of 3 bags of glass. The Advantage 15 Glass gets 5 bags.
- Turn off pump
- Turn Advantage Bead Filter valve to “RECIRCULATE”
- Turn Advantage Glass Filter valve to “RINSE” and (with your head turned away from the Glass filter) turn on blower for:
30 seconds for the Advantage 10 Glass Filter
60 seconds for the Advantage 15 Glass Filter
- With blower running, turn Advantage Glass Filter valve to “BACKWASH” and open valve on top of filter. [**NOTE: If excessive water comes out of valve on top of the filter when opened, close valve and repeat step 3. In the future, increase the blower time on step 3 so that no water comes out during step 4**]
- After 60 seconds, turn off blower and close top valve
- Turn on pump
- Wait for waste water in site glass to become clear
(Approximately 60 seconds)
- Turn pump off
- Turn Advantage Glass Filter valve to “RINSE”
- Turn on pump. Leave on “RINSE” briefly, until water in site glass becomes clear again
- Turn off pump
- Turn Advantage Glass Filter valve to “FILTER”
- Turn Advantage Bead Filter valve back to “FILTER
- Turn on pump
This maintenance will help keep the Advantage Glass Filter from turning into a biological filter and reducing the flow.
- Follow steps 1-3 of the backwashing instructions. After step 3, turn off blower
- Open lid on top of filter and pour in 2 Tbls. Of Potassium Permanganate and re-close lid
- Perform steps 4 & 5 of the backwashing instructions
- Turn Glass Filter valve to “RECIRCULATE”
- Turn Bead Filter valve to “FILTER” and turn on pump
- After 12 hours, perform the entire backwashing cycle as normally done
WARNING: The backwash procedure requires the use of Potassium Permanganate. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY FOR YOUR SAFTY!
WARNING: Should you decide to add the Potassium Permanganate through the top valve and not remove it as per the instructions, YOU MUST ALSO POUR ENOUGH WATER THROUGH THE VALVE TO THROUGHLY CLEAN ALL OF THE POTASSIUM PERMAGANATE FROM THE INSIDE OF THE VALVE AND THE SCREEN LOCATED IN THE VALVE.
WARNING: If you do not follow the instructions exactly, it can result in blasting Potassium Permanganate into the air and possibly causing blindness. It is recommended to turn your head away from the Glass Filter when turning on the blower unit during backwashing of the Advantage Glass filter.